Tips, Tricks and Advice
- Have your humidifier serviced and checked to ensure it is in perfect running condition. Being able to maintain a constant humidity level (30 - 35%) in a home creates an ideal environment for hardwood flooring and will keep your wood flooring from separating during the dry winter months.
- Once the material arrives at your door, your home has officially become a construction site. Safety is of the most importance. Installer's equipment will be left at your home during the installation. It’s extremely important that parents keep their children from playing near this equipment. Also homeowners are asked not to use this equipment for other projects around the home. Installers know their own tools best. We would not want to put homeowners in risk of hurting themselves.
- If carpet, tile or sub floor removal is required on your project, take extreme caution with staples left in the sub floor or sharp edges of tiles. Wear indoor shoes in the home and again keep children away from the area if possible.
- Solid wood flooring over wood sub floors must be installed perpendicular to the joist or at a 45-degree angle if specified prior. Concrete sub-floor applications can be installed in the customer preferred direction as long as this is communicated with the sales representative prior to installation (if this is a component of the floor where as you have specific instructions on how you would like to see the flow of the wood floor, please ensure there are notes on your contract with the specifics prior to signing). If there is no preference the installer will lay the floor with the best relation of the layout in mind.
- Go over your floor every day and communicate to your sales specialist. The installer is at your home during daylight, lighting can sometimes unveil something that was missed by the installer or a minor imperfection (we are working with a natural product). Point out your concern and we’ll handle it appropriately.
- Life is full of unsolved mysteries, so when we give you times for completion please remember that it is an estimate. Things can happen that were unexpected or a problem is noted once carpet is removed. We understand that installing hardwood in your home is a disruption to your daily routine, but it truly is short-term pain for long-term gain.
- Please note that nailing a hardwood floor on your sub-floor does create vibration. You may want to consider removing paintings and pictures from walls and or articles on narrow ledges to avoid an accident. This is especially important with sand and finishing.
- Installers are not expected to cut outside especially weather permitting. If this is something that you are concerned about, please discuss with your sales representative prior to the quotation so there are no surprises on the day the installer shows up at your home.
- When you are called to book a delivery appointment you will be given an "am" and "pm" window please ensure we will have access to the home during this window. We also have lock box service available free of charge so all Divine employees that require access to the house are able to do so without inconveniencing your schedule.
Light species such as Maple or Birch and exotic species such as Brazilian Cherry and Tigerwood will naturally darken so remember to move furniture and rugs around for the first 6 months. If you do move something off the floor and the colour has changed, don’t worry. It will catch up to the rest of the floor given time.
Wood flooring is a product of nature; therefore, it has character not defects. Please ensure you visit one of our showrooms to ensure you are getting exactly what you want. Different grades of wood will allow for more character and your selection will determine the amount of variation with your floor.
When the floor is complete, it is important to maintain it. Please read the maintenance instructions carefully.